London Office: 020 4551 9116 Oxford Office: 01865 910 169 Henley Head Office: 01491 525 940 Email Us Careers

As a managing agent, we often get requests to fix things inside flats.  The confusion stems from the signage in communal corridors that states that Common Ground is the managing agent for the site and some mistakenly believe this extends to the interior of flats as well. This ranges from requests such as “please fix my broken washing machine” to the much less obvious issues such as water leaking out of a bathroom extractor fan.

So what’s my flat and what’s not?      As ever, folks, it’s in the lease.

The lease defines the extent of the flat often referring to the flat as “the demise” or “the demised premises”. In short, this is your flat and defines those parts of the structure that you, the leaseholder, are responsible.

The lease will also define those parts of the building that the freeholder (or residents management company in the case of tri-partite leases) is responsible for maintaining.

As a general rule of thumb, a leaseholder is responsible for

  • Everything on the leaseholder’s side of the flat front door
  • Any services that are exclusively serving the flat (electricity, water, pipework).

Confusion often reigns with this second point with leaseholders arguing that these services pass through communal areas. Whilst this may be so, a communal facility is general something that benefits more than one person (or demise in the context of leases) and this is why renewal or repair of these facilities is usually the responsibility of the leaseholder.

Contact Us

Oxford Office


Sandford Gate, East Point Business Park
Oxford, OX4 6LB

01865 910 169

Henley on Thames (Head Office)


Chiltern House, 45 Station Road
Henley-on-Thames, RG9 1AT

01491 525 940

London Office


Ealing Cross, First Floor
85 Uxbridge Road
London, W5 5BW

020 4551 9116